The Stroke Book
Edited by Michel T. Torbey
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Magdy H. Selim
Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts
Published May 2007
In his foreword of ‘The Stroke Book’ Professor Marc Fisher from University Of Massachusetts Medical School said that the editors have provided an excellent introductory book that overviews all of the burgeoning aspects of cerebrovascular medicine in a comprehensive but an easily understood manner.
The Stroke Book is a concise and practical reference for anyone involved in managing critically ill cerebrovascular patients.
Contributors in this book from leading stroke centres cover a wide range of common conditions and provide focused protocols for assessing and treating patients in the emergency room, intensive care Unit, or on the hospital floor. Chapters are written in bulleted format and are packed with algorithms, tables, and summary boxes to provide immediate access to key information. This essential companion will help readers navigate stroke-related clinical situations successfully and make informed decisions about treatment.
1. EMS: first line of defense against stroke Denise Lemke and Michel T. Torbey
2. Initial assessment of patients with stroke-like symptoms Rafael H. Llinas
3. Clinical stroke syndromes and localization Sean I. Salvitz
4. The hunt for a stroke etiology: ischaemic stroke Thomas J. Wolfe and Osama O. Zaidat
5. Hemorrhagic stroke: the hunt for a stroke etiology Angelos Katramados and Panayiotis Varelas
6. Uncommon causes of stroke Andrew W. Tarulli
7. Computed tomography in acute stroke Sanjay K. Shetty and Michael H. Lev
8. Magnetic resonance imaging in acute stroke Magdy Selim
9. Neurosonology in acute ischaemic stroke Vijay Sharma, Annabella Lao and Andrei V. Alexandrov
10. Ischaemic stroke in the first 24 hours Magdy Selim
11. Ischaemic stroke beyond the first 24 hours Eric Bershad and Jose I. Suarez
12. Intracerebral haemorrhage Katja Elfriede Wartenberg and Stephan A. Mayer
13. Subarachnoid haemorrhage Katja Elfriede Wartenberg and Stephan A. Mayer
14. Dural and cerebral sinus thrombosis James S. Castle and Romergryko G. Geocadin
15. Perioperative stroke Viktor Szeder, Magdy Selim and Michel T. Torbey
16. Stroke on OB/Gyn wards Ann K. Helms
17. Stroke on pediatric wards Marta Lopez Vincente, Santiago Ortega-Gutierrez and Michel Torbey
18. Antithrombotic therapies Mark Alberts
19. Surgical and endovascular therapies Nazli Janjua and Adnan Qureshi
20. Stroke risk factors: impact and management Laura Pedelty and Philip B. Gorelick.